At Expert Electric, we understand that cleaning and replacing old light fixtures can seem like such a chore; however, most people do not realize that simple cleaning or replacing an old light fixture can freshen and brighten up your home. Our team of licensed electricians have put together some simple light fixture replacement and maintenance tips that can help you brighten up even the dingiest light fixture.
How to Properly Change a Light Fixture
If you are thinking about replacing an old light fixture by yourself, you need to make sure that you follow the manufacturer’s instructions for installation and safety, and if you have any doubts or questions about the connections, you should contact a licensed electrician right away. In order to properly and safely change a light fixture in your home, you can follow these simple steps:
- Turn off the power in your electrical circuit panel for the room where you will be working.
- Remove the old fixture by first removing the cover and then removing the wire connectors. You can then untwist the fixture wires from the installed wires before removing the base or trim from the old fixture.
- Tighten the screws in the electrical box in the ceiling to ensure that it is not loose, but be careful not to over tighten the screws. If you have any doubts about the suitability of the existing electrical box, contact a licensed electrician about having it inspected.
- Connect the wires by following the manufacturers instructions. Use a wire stripper to remove the protective coating of the wires on the fixture before wrapping the section of each fixture wire to the bare section of its corresponding installed wire, and then screw on the wire connectors.
- Install light bulbs with the correct wattage for the fixture, and then turn on the electrical panel circuit.
- Install the trim and cover to your light fixture.
Maximize Your Lighting With Clean Fixtures
If you want to keep the light fixture that you already have but are looking to spruce it up a bit, here are some simple cleaning tips for different light fixtures:
- Chandeliers – take down your chandelier and lay it on top of a towel spread on a table. Mix a solution of 1-ounce mild dish soap with 1/4 cup of white vinegar and 3 cups of water. Using a spray bottle to apply the solution, and let it dry before polishing each crystal with a microfiber cloth.
- Ceiling fixtures – carefully take down the fixture cover and slide it into a sink full of soapy water. Dry and shine the cover with a microfiber cloth.
- Pendant lights – turn off the light and let the bulbs cool before spraying and wiping the outside of the light with a cleaning spray and a microfiber cloth. Make sure to wipe bulbs and extension rods/cables with a dry cloth.
- Recessed lights – wipe the inside of the canisters and bulbs with a microfiber cloth or a slightly damp rag.
If you would like to learn more light fixture replacement and maintenance tips, or if you are interested in one of our residential or commercial services, please contact the licensed electricians at Expert Electric at 604-681-8338.