We know your family’s safety is important to you, but have you ensured their electrical safety? The amount of electricity running through your home has enough power to cause death if electrocuted. Implementing a few simple tips regarding your cords and plugs, outlets, and circuit breakers could potentially prevent injuries or fires in your home.
Cords & Plugs
All your electrical appliances have cords, and being a daily item, many times we overlook any wear-and-tear that could potentially be a safety hazard to your family and home. Make it a habit to check each appliance’s cords and plugs before every use. Check your cords for any frays, cracks or kinks. If they are damaged, replace the power cord before use; such exposures could be a fire hazard.
Also, make sure to be using your cords appropriately. As much as you want to tuck away or hide your cords, never staple or nail cords in position! Try using tape or twist ties to secure your cords safely. Also, refrain from running your cords through doorways or under rugs, this could cause damage to the cord or cause overheating. Instead try using an extension cord to safely reach that desired location in your home. Although, extension cords are not intended for permanent use, this should only be a temporary solution. Consider rewiring if you are really tied to having your appliance in a specific out-of-reach position.
Once you are confident that your cords are safe, now you need to ensure that your outlets are also safe. Every outlet should have its wires covered by a secure plate and if you have children, make sure your unused outlets are covered with a childproof cap. Avoid using multiple adaptors or power strips, which can overload your outlets and cause fire hazards. Instead, relocate your appliances to another outlet.
For outlets located near a water sources like your bathroom and kitchen, you should check to make sure that your home is equipped with a GFCI (ground-fault circuit interrupter) outlet. This is a fairly new technology of which is now mandatory in all new houses built. A GFCI will protect your family from electrical shock if it ever comes in contact with water.
Your circuit breaker protects electrical wiring from overheating or catching fire. If too much electricity is passed through a certain fuse it will “blow;” breaking the flow of electricity. If this happens, the fuse needs to be replaced – make sure to find the right size fuse to allow the appropriate flow of electricity. Your circuit breaker should always be easily accessible and all members of your family should be aware of its location and how to use it when the time comes.
Your electrical appliances, outlets and circuit breakers are constantly changing over time so make sure to be checking them regularly. Make this a household habit for your whole family. If you notice any signs of electrical issues such as dimming or flickering lights, unusual sizzling or buzzing sounds, or if your circuit breaker is continuously tripping, call an electrician from Expert Electric at 604-681-8338. One of our experienced electricians will gladly examine your home for any electrical concerns.
Your family’s safety is our top priority!